QRMC has been delivering services as Workers Compensation Self Insurance Auditors since 2000.
The wide range of Self Insurance Audits we have successfully delivered can be reviewed on our Projects pages. Our clients (many of whom are repeat clients and referrals) include both public sector and private sector self-insured entities.
To deliver our Self Insurance Audits, QRMC works in compliance with the National Self Insurer OHS Audit Tool and the harmonised Work Health and Safety legislation or relevant safety legislation for your jurisdiction and industry. We develop and deliver audits tailored specifically to your organisation’s needs, whether your goal is a self-insurer licence renewal, a mid-term compliance check, or to determine your organisation’s status in preparation for applying for a self-insurer licence. You can be confident that the objectives of your Self Insurance Audit project will be achieved.
The range of Self Insurance Audit services we deliver include:
Extensive work portfolio
Quality controlled services
Self Insurance Compliance Audits process
QRMC’s self insurance compliance audits typically involve the following steps:
- Development of audit plan – in line with required audit scope (self insurer licence renewal, self insurer mid-term audit, safety management system compliance audit etc.)
- Document review – to determine compliance of the safety management system with the audit criteria, whether National Self Insurer OHS Audit Tool or other criteria
- Validation of safety management system – via site inspections and interviews, to validate the findings of the document review and evaluate the relevancy, effectiveness and implementation status of the current safety management system
- Development of Compliance Audit Report – incorporating a description of the regulatory requirements which have been audited against, the audit findings and compliance status, and recommended actions pertaining to those areas found to be non-compliant or requiring improvement to achieve full compliance, and/or opportunities for improvement.
QRMC’s Audit approach
The findings in our self insurer licence renewal or mid-term/preparatory audits are targeted for system improvement, recognising the related shortcomings or limitations that may exist within the safety management system, not simply undertaking an exercise in the identification of unaddressed hazards. While by no means overlooking operational hazards identified during the audit, QRMC’s self insurance audits consider identified non-compliances and workplace hazards as the symptom of deficiencies within the framework or application of the safety management system. The approach of our auditors provides our clients not only with the current compliance status for self-insurance licensing, but with practical guidance on the strategic and operational improvements which can be made to the management of safety across the organisation.
While ensuring that specific detail is captured which will support the assessment of the criteria included in the National Self Insurer OHS Audit Tool (or other audit criteria), QRMC’s auditing style is facilitatory and conversational. This has several benefits, including:
- Non-confronting style towards personnel resulting in more open communication and goodwill, and usually more reliable information
- Non-prescriptive, organic style allowing for perceptive response to the context and to information being given
- Ability to follow through with issues particular to the organisation which may not be catered for by more restrictive approaches.
Skills of QRMC’s self insurance safety system auditors
QRMC has auditors on staff who are accredited as Workplace Health and Safety Self-Insurance Auditors (Queensland Government). Also all of our auditors are RABQSA certified Principal OHS Auditors.
QRMC’s self-insurance accredited auditors sensitively explore safety issues in the context of each interviewee’s daily responsibilities and work experience. In addition to documenting the specific requirements of the audit criteria, this approach allows conversations to develop organically to explore issues which might otherwise be overlooked. QRMC finds that this approach is highly valuable in providing management with insights into areas of effective safety management across an organisation, as well as problem areas within the organisation. The positive outcomes of the process are reflected in the Recommendations and Opportunities for Improvement which are detailed within the final Compliance Audit Report, providing the client organisation’s management with the opportunity to identify and realise mechanisms for the enhancement of work health and safety for their employees.
Critically, QRMC’s auditors are able to engage with personnel from all levels of the organisation from executive management to “point of risk” personnel. It is this ability that produces valuable insights into the on-site management of WHS, leadership and safety culture. These interactions explore issues identified within the physical environment and aim to establish the systemic limitations and ‘weak-points’ within the management system or the application of its processes. The style of our auditors achieves:
- More open communication and goodwill
- More reliable information
- The ability to follow through with unexpected issues raised during the audit.
Benefits of using QRMC as your self insurer compliance audit provider
QRMC focuses on maximising value for money for our clients, by realising positive outcomes from the self-insurance audit process beyond the basic compliance requirement.
In addition to the expected benefits of decreasing exposure to non-compliances to WHS Legislative breaches and decreasing the potential for costs in lost productivity, workers compensation and rehabilitation, QRMC also strives to:
- Provide more far-reaching suggestions for systems-based improvement which will facilitate the ‘organisational fit’ of WHS procedures
- Identify areas in which WHS management systems can be made more flexible and user-friendly
- Assist in continuous improvement and the ongoing development of the safety management system to maintain best practice.
Testimonial “As a consulting company QRMC are a class act in the WHS and Risk specialty fields. I feel qualified to say this from my 15 years on the front line and in management with Safety and Risk for Queensland Rail. I have enjoyed working with QRMC’s Consultants always knowing that trust is well placed in their experienced hands as they deliver up to the minute practical solutions in a timely manner with high integrity. The breadth of their experience means the client benefits from their knowledge of a range of effective options for best fit with the business and the business situation. The Safety Networking Group facilitated by QRMC provides a networking platform for their clients, Regulators and Safety Professionals to share views and be briefed on the latest developments in the field. At these events to simply observe the regard that diverse clients from private industry and Government departments hold for the QRMC team speaks volumes. At a level of empowerment the benefit to industry provided by the SNG over time has been invaluable.” Lindsay Shorley Health, Safety and Risk Professional