QRMC’s management and staff are committed to minimising the environmental impact of our activities.
Although our operations do not directly contribute to global carbon emissions in the way that many industries do, we recognise that each individual, and each business, can act to control and reduce their carbon footprint.
Measuring Carbon Emissions
Using a range of recognised measures and calculations, QRMC measures the carbon emissions generated by:
- electricity used in QRMC’s offices
- gas used in QRMC’s offices
- waste generated from QRMC’s offices
- water used in QRMC’s offices (based on heating, distribution and treatment related emissions)
- fuel (from both staff cars and taxis)
- air travel.
QRMC’s estimated emissions since over two years of formal measurement beginning in July 2007 are detailed below:
Reducing Carbon Emissions
Wherever possible QRMC has acted to reduce the environmental impact and carbon emissions generated by our activities. Initiatives include:
- minimising paper waste and resource usage by utilising electronic copies of documentation wherever possible and printing on scrap paper
- ensuring that all office paper and cardboard waste is recycled
- remanufacturing (refilling) our toner cartridges
- using energy efficient lighting
- turning off lighting and office equipment over nights and weekends
- switching to accredited Green Power electricity
- installing roof insulation in office spaces
- using natural ventilation except in extremes of temperature
- installing skylights and using natural light whenever possible
- using communications technology instead of face-to-face meetings where practicable
- facilitating telecommuting by our staff to reduce travel requirements
- installing gas hot water systems, solar photovoltaic panels, and blinds to shade west-facing windows
- measuring our carbon footprint
- promoting the use of teleconferences to avoid emissions from transport
Over the measuring period during which the above strategies were implemented, we achieved the following reduction in the emissions related to our operations, despite staffing increases:
Offsetting Carbon Emissions
Those carbons emissions which we cannot eliminate, we have chosen to fully offset, using the following carbon offset program.
Currently QRMC utilises Greenfleet to offset its emissions on a quarterly basis, as Greenfleet is geared towards offsetting travel related emissions and the bulk of QRMC’s emissions are generated by the necessity to travel to our clients. Greenfleet describes itself as a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the community reduce the environmental impact of travel, business and lifestyle choices by adopting low-carbon alternatives and biosequestration. Greenfleet provides offsets by planting mixed native (biodiverse) forests that also help to reduce soil erosion, improve water quality and provide habitat for native animals.